Facebook is a social networking site that makes it easy for you to connect and share with your family and friends online. Originally designed for college students, Facebook was created in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg while he was enrolled at Harvard University. By 2006, anyone over the age of 13 with a valid email address could join Facebook. Today, Facebook is the world’s largest social network, with more than 1 billion users worldwide.
Create a Facebook account
- Navigate to www.facebook.com in your web browser.
- Under the words Sign Up, enter your personal information and desired password, then click Sign Up.
- The Welcome to Facebook page will appear. From here, you’ll be able to search for people you know on Facebook, learn more about your privacy settings, and upload a profile picture.
Add a profile picture
- Desktop – Click Add Photo in the upper-left side of your Facebook profile, click Upload Photo, select a photo from your computer, and click Open.
- Mobile – Tap the square profile picture icon at the top of the page, tap Select Profile Picture, tap a photo that you want to use, and tap Use.
- You can also add a photo to the top of your Facebook profile by clicking or tapping Add Cover Photo, clicking Upload Photo (desktop) or tapping Change Cover Photo (mobile), and selecting a photo from your computer or mobile platform.
Edit your account information
- Desktop – Click About below your cover photo area, click a subject below the “About” heading on the left side of the page (e.g., Places You’ve Lived), hover your mouse over an item and click Edit when it appears, and edit the item.
- Mobile – Scroll down and tap About just above the “What’s on your mind?” text box, tap the “Edit” pencil icon to the right of an item, tap the Edit option, and edit the item.
- Select the search bar
- Enter a friend’s name.
- Select your friend.
- Click or tap Add Friend.
- Use Facebook’s suggested friends.
- Go back to your profile.
- Scroll down and tap the status box.
- Create your post.
- Change your post’s privacy if desired.
- Tap Share.
- Comment on other people’s posts.
Uploading Photos and Videos on Mobile
- Go to the News Feed.
- Tap Photo.
- Select a photo or video.
- Tap Done.
- Add text to your post if you like.
- Tap Share.
- Tap the “News Feed” checkbox.
- Tap Share Now